Manual Lymphatic Drainage Massage in Charlottesville, Va.
Detoxify tissues, boost immunity, address minor pathologies, reduce pain, reduce anxiety, reduce water retention with a Manual Lymphatic Drainage massage!
Client disrobes for this treatment. No oils or lotions are used (except for castor oil pack if selected, or foot cream with reflexology).
Manual Lymphatic Drainage is very helpful for symptoms of:
- Chronic fatigue
- Lyme disease
- Swelling due to surgical procedures, trauma
- Water retention
- Whole-body tissue detoxification
- Aesthetics – cellulite, wrinkles, scarring, pallor
- And much more!
What should you expect in a typical full body Manual Lymphatic Drainage session?
In a full body treatment, gentle, rhythmic strokes are used on the bare skin of the face, neck, chest, belly, arms, hips, back, and legs to stimulate the lymph vessels just under the skin, as well the deeper lymph nodes. No oils or lotions are used. We follow the natural path of lymph flow with a specific protocol to make sure fluids move in the right direction. The work is soothing, sedates the nervous system, and is very relaxing.
Although the work is very gentle and relaxing, it moves a LOT of fluid through the body and stimulates the body’s detoxification mechanisms. To get the best results you will want to make sure you are well hydrated before your treatment, and make time for self-care afterward. You will want to support your body’s detoxification process with plenty of clean water, clean food, moderate exercise, and good rest.
It is common to have detox symptoms the next day, such as headache, nausea, diarrhea, runny nose, increased urination, or body aches. Symptoms can range from intense to very mild, depending on your particular system. Any symptoms you do experience should clear up after a day or two, and then most people will feel wonderful with increased energy, fewer aches and pains, better sleep, less bloating, and an amazing sense of well-being. Several people have even reported that their chronic anxiety was improved.
If you don’t feel as well as expected a couple of days after your first treatment, you may benefit from a series of treatments. Many people find that they feel increasingly better and their detox symptoms are less and less with each subsequent session.
Why get a Manual Lymphatic Drainage Massage?
The lymphatic system is at the center of the body’s immunity and detoxification mechanisms. The lymph fluids, vessels, and nodes are essentially the body’s “washing machine.” The lymph system picks up cellular debris, metabolic waste, excess fluids, as well as other substances that can collect in the tissues. Then the “dirty” fluids move through the vessels and into the lymph nodes to be filtered and cleansed. Finally, the “clean” fluids are returned back into the system to start the whole process over again. The lymphatic system also makes white blood cells (lymphocytes) that help defend the body against disease.
Fluid movement in the lymph system is critical for it to do its job effectively, but that movement can become sluggish for a variety of reasons. Not drinking enough water, excessive stress and tension, not enough movement/exercise, poor diet, environmental toxins, surgeries or injuries, certain medications, and certain disease processes can all contribute to a sluggish lymph system.
Some symptoms that your lymph system may be sluggish are:
- Water retention, bloating, puffiness
- Weight gain
- Frequent illness, lowered immunity
- Fatigue, low energy
- Body aches and pains
- Chronic Anxiety
- Headaches/ Migraines
- Repeated sinus infections
- Brain fog/ depression
- Digestive issues
- Joint aches and pains
Lymphatic Drainage Massage has the ability to improve all of these symptoms! It gently stimulates movement of stagnant fluids out of the tissues and into the body’s natural detoxification system, while moving fresh, clean fluids and nutrients in, creating more health at the cellular level.
In addition to addressing the troubling symptoms described above, MLD is great as a seasonal detox treatment for health maintenance, or to help with weight loss efforts. It can even be a beauty treatment, reducing puffiness and giving the skin a healthy glow.
A lymphatic drainage massage treatment is also great for relieving stress and pain, because the gentle techniques sedate the fight-or-flight stress response in the body, balance the nervous system, and promote a feeling of deep relaxation.
Who should NOT get Manual Lymphatic Drainage massage?
- If you have an acute infection, fever, hot, red, painful tissues, purulent cold, sinus infection, flu, or similar. Wait until the infection and inflammation has cleared up before getting MLD.
- If you have any serious heart disease or circulatory problems (congestive heart failure, blocked artery, blood clots, phlebitis, etc).
- If you have a serious kidney disease or inability to urinate. MLD can increase the load on the kidneys and urine output, and your system needs to be able to handle it.
- If you have damaged or removed lymph nodes, or if you have a diagnosis of lymphedema. You need to see a specialist with more advanced training — I can refer you to someone who can help you.
- Caution must be taken if you have any type of cancer, and referral from your doctor is required. You may or may not be able to receive MLD from me, depending on your doctor’s recommendation, or I may need to refer you to a therapist with more advanced oncology training.